Medically reviewed by Dr. Charisse Litchman, MD, FAHS on August 18, 2020
You may be able to stop or reduce the frequency of your tension headaches using non-medical solutions. Lifestyle changes and natural remedies that may reduce the frequency or pain of tension headaches include:
- Stress reduction moves including exercise, meditation, yoga, white noise tapes, gardening, or apps that promote relaxation.
- Talk therapy with a therapist or support group
- Hot or cold compresses to your head
- Massage and acupuncture
- Applying peppermint essential oil to your temples
- Being careful to get enough sleep
- Reducing screen time and avoiding using screens before going to bed
This information is provided purely for informational purposes. This information is not intended to be, and should not be construed as a substitute for, medical or healthcare advice, diagnosis or treatment. Any reader or person with a medical concern should consult with an appropriately-licensed physician or other healthcare provider.