An IUD is a birth control option that can provide many benefits over traditional methods. IUDs are devices that are placed inside your uterus by a medical professional in a simple in-office procedure. You can choose from non-hormonal-based IUDs (copper IUDs) that work by blocking the path of eggs to the uterus and hormonal-based IUDs that utilize the same blocking procedure but also adjust your body’s hormones to reduce the risk of conception.
Both hormonal and non-hormonal IUDs provide benefits such as:
- A worry-free option – Once your healthcare provider inserts your IUD, you will have nothing else to do to provide pregnancy protection.
- High effectiveness – IUDs are highly effective with pregnancy rates less than 1.5 percent.
- Providing long-term protection – An IUD is long-term contraception and can remain effective through many years of use.
- Affordability – With an IUD you will not be required to make frequent doctor visits or purchase repeat prescriptions, making it an affordable option.
- Flexibility – An IUD can be inserted at any time during your cycle as long as you are not pregnant.
Hormonal IUDs also come with benefits that non-hormonal IUDs do not. They can help to:
- Regulate your periods – The hormones in an IUD can help your periods become more regular or eliminate them altogether.
- Lower your risk of cancer – IUDs emit hormones that can lower your risk of the endometrium and other reproductive-related cancers.
- Provide an alternative to estrogen contraceptive – Hormonal IUDs are progestin-only which can be a good option for those who have sensitivities to estrogen-based birth control options.
Copper IUDs can be beneficial for those:
- Who have problems with hormone-based contraceptives – Since there are no hormones with this form of IUD it can be a great option for those who have had problems with hormones in the past.
- Who are seeking the longest-term option – Copper IUDs can be effective for longer than hormonal IUDs, sometimes preventing pregnancy for up to ten years.