Chlamydia is a very common sexually transmitted infection. The reason chlamydia infections are widespread is that the organism does not cause any obvious symptoms, so infected people continue to pass it on to their sexual partners. About three-quarters of women and half of men who acquire chlamydia will not develop any symptoms. For the minority who do have symptoms of chlamydia, these are some of the symptoms they might experience.
Symptoms in Female Bodied Patients
- A mild darkish looking vaginal discharge with a foul smell
- Lower abdominal cramps that are often intense at the end of the menstrual cycle
- Some women may develop abnormal spotting in between the menstrual cycle.
- A low-grade fever may appear at the time of the pelvic cramps
- Painful intercourse
- Pain and irritation when urinating
- Although rare, some women may develop an itch or a burning sensation around the genitals.
Symptoms in Male Bodied Patients
- Some men may develop a discharge from the tip of the penis. The discharge may be clear or cloudy and usually is just a few drops.
- Pain when urinating
- Some men may complain of an itch and a burning sensation around the tip of the penis.
The intensity of these symptoms in both men and women are often mild. One of the reasons why chlamydia often goes untreated is because those infected with it are either unaware that they have the infection or dismiss it since the symptoms are not too severe.
There are a number of tests for chlamydia. For in-person testing, the doctor will obtain swabs from the genital areas and send them to the laboratory. Lab results generally take three to seven days. At Nurx we also offer STI Home Test Kits, so that you can get a status check on common infections, like chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis, conveniently and confidentially, with or without insurance. Just answer a few health questions, then our medical team will review and our partner lab will mail you a kit in discreet packaging. Get started ordering your test kit online.