Medically reviewed by Dr. Charisse Litchman, MD, FAHS on August 18, 2020
You may be able to reduce the frequency or intensity of your migraine headaches using non-medical solutions.
Natural, non-medical remedies that may reduce help alleviate the symptoms of a migraine headache include:
- Resting in a dark, quiet room
- Drinking a caffeinated beverage when you have a headache (as long as you don’t overdo it with caffeine on days you do not suffer from headaches)
- Drinking several glasses of water (not too cold) when you have a headache
- Hot or cold compresses to your head
- Applying peppermint essential oil to your temples
- Apply lavender essential oil to upper lip and inhale
Natural, non-medical remedies that may reduce help prevent migraine headaches include:
- Stress reduction moves including exercise, meditation, yoga, white noise tapes, gardening, or apps that promote relaxation.
- Talk therapy with a therapist or support group
- Massage and acupuncture
- Being careful to get enough sleep
- Cognitive behavioral therapy or Behavioral therapy
- Supplements, including vitamin B-2, coenzyme Q10, and magnesium can be taken daily; take an extra magnesium pill when you have a headache
- Get enough sleep and do not change sleep patterns on weekends (too much sleep can cause headaches too)
- Avoid alcohol
This information is provided purely for informational purposes. This information is not intended to be, and should not be construed as a substitute for, medical or healthcare advice, diagnosis or treatment. Any reader or person with a medical concern should consult with an appropriately-licensed physician or other healthcare provider.