The Depo Provera shot is the only birth control method proven to cause weight gain. Most women do not gain weight on the pill, patch, or ring. When they do it is usually no more than five pounds and may be due to other causes. Some women also lose weight when using these methods. Ultimately, you may require some trial and error in finding the right birth control method for you, but we wouldn’t expect your new birth control to cause weight gain for you.
At Nurx, we offer many types of hormonal birth for you to choose from including:
- Combination pill: Combination pills contain estrogen and progestin and must be taken daily. With typical use, they’re 91-99% effective.
- Progestin-only pill: Progestin-only pills, or mini-pills, do not contain estrogen and must be taken daily. With typical use, are 91-99% effective.
- Patch: Patches contain estrogen and progestin and are applied directly to your skin once per week. They’re 91-99% effective.
- Ring: The ring is inserted into the vagina once per cycle so it can release progestin and estrogen. It’s at least 91% effective.
- Shot: Shots containing progestin are given once every three months. They’re at least 94% effective.
If you would like to order birth control from Nurx, start your order here.