Skip to content
Back to blog

Does Your Period Really Affect Your Behavior?

Does Your Period Really Affect Your Behavior? Image

There’s science backing up the widespread belief that your menstrual cycle influences your behavior. Feeling moody or irritable during our period has a biological basis, and hormones can influence your emotions all month long.

PMS Can Sometimes Be the Culprit

Many women experience Premenstrual Syndrome or PMS. This is the name for many troublesome symptoms that can occur just before your period starts. Some of the symptoms include bloating, anxiety, and tiredness.

PMS is talked about quite often, and there are plenty of jokes surrounding it. The truth, which isn’t talked about much, is that hormones can affect a woman’s mood the entire month—not just before and during her period.

Hormone Levels Fluctuate

The reason for this is that hormone levels fluctuate all month. During these fluctuations, you might notice a change in mood or even your physical health. Below are the different phases and how they can affect your well-being.

The Follicular Phase

This is most likely the “happy” part of your cycle. This phase begins when you start your period and typically lasts for about two weeks. During this time, a hormone called estradiol begins to increase. Most women feel energetic and joyful during this time, especially when comparing it to the luteal phase.

The Ovulatory Phase

During this phase, the luteinizing hormone begins to rise. This hormone is what induces ovulation. Some scientific studies have shown that women have an increase in libido and a higher pain tolerance during this phase. Women may also feel more attractive during this time as well.

Finally, The Luteal Phase

During this phase, there is an increase in the hormone progesterone. Women typically feel moodier and even more stressed during this time. This phase occurs just before your period. There are a few ways to combat the yucky feelings. Keeping a healthy lifestyle is the easiest way. Eating a healthy, balanced diet, exercising regularly, and getting enough sleep can help.

If that doesn’t help, and it’s really bothersome, seeing your doctor can help. You may have a hormone imbalance that needs to be corrected.

More articles that might be helpful:

The Minipill vs. the Combination Pill: What’s the Difference?

“I Was Birth Control Shamed”

How to Get (Affordable) Birth Control Online

This blog pro­vides infor­ma­tion about telemed­i­cine, health and related sub­jects. The blog content and any linked materials herein are not intended to be, and should not be con­strued as a substitute for, med­ical or healthcare advice, diagnosis or treatment. Any reader or per­son with a med­ical con­cern should con­sult with an appropriately-licensed physi­cian or other healthcare provider. This blog is provided purely for informational purposes. The views expressed herein are not sponsored by and do not represent the opinions of Nurx™.

Back to top