Nurx offers prescription treatment for migraines for as little as $0 with insurance or $25 per month without insurance.
Medically reviewed by Dr. Charisse Litchman, MD, FAHS on August 18, 2020
You may be able to reduce the frequency or intensity of your migraine headaches using non-medical solutions.
Natural, non-medical remedies that may reduce help alleviate the symptoms of a migraine headache include:
- Resting in a dark, quiet room
- Drinking a caffeinated beverage when you have a headache (as long as you don’t overdo it with caffeine on days you do not suffer from headaches)
- Drinking several glasses of water (not too cold) when you have a headache
- Hot or cold compresses to your head
- Applying peppermint essential oil to your temples
- Apply lavender essential oil to upper lip and inhale
Natural, non-medical remedies that may reduce help prevent migraine headaches include:
- Stress reduction moves including exercise, meditation, yoga, white noise tapes, gardening, or apps that promote relaxation.
- Talk therapy with a therapist or support group
- Massage and acupuncture
- Being careful to get enough sleep
- Cognitive behavioral therapy or Behavioral therapy
- Supplements, including vitamin B-2, coenzyme Q10, and magnesium can be taken daily; take an extra magnesium pill when you have a headache
- Get enough sleep and do not change sleep patterns on weekends (too much sleep can cause headaches too)
- Avoid alcohol
This information is provided purely for informational purposes. This information is not intended to be, and should not be construed as a substitute for, medical or healthcare advice, diagnosis or treatment. Any reader or person with a medical concern should consult with an appropriately-licensed physician or other healthcare provider.