The average retail cost of Descovy is approximately $2,000 for a 30-day supply. The cost of Descovy may be reduced further by the use of discount coupons, insurance plans, or patient help programs developed by the medication’s manufacturer, Gilead. Descovy is approved by the Food and Drug Administration for PrEP, and it does not have a generic equivalent at this time.
Descovy for PrEP
Descovy is a prescription medication that comes in a bottle of 30 tablets. Each tablet contains 200 mg emtricitabine (FTC) and 25 mg tenofovir alafenamide (TAF). Descovy was approved in October 2019 by the FDA to become a pre-exposure prophylactic or PrEP for the prevention of HIV. To start taking Descovy, you will need to be tested for STIs and HIV to ensure you do not have any infections that might interact with your medication. Our medical team here at Nurx™ can help you navigate your options for PrEP and get you started on your medication.
Store Descovy in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight and where your medication is both convenient and away from children. Bottles come packaged with a desiccant insert that should remain in the bottle until all tablets have been taken.
Paying for Descovy
99% of our Nurx patients pay nothing for their PrEP medication. Speak to our medical providers to help you navigate the programs and options available to pay for your medication.
- Descovy coupons or rebates. Using coupons or rebates may reduce your out-of-pocket costs further. Descovy, alongside some pharmacies, may offer coupons or rebates for purchasing Descovy.
- Insurance and Copays. Your medication may be covered by your insurance plan and may include copays, so be sure to inquire about your out-of-pocket costs before starting Descovy. In some cases, you can get help covering the cost of copays. Deductibles and restrictions may apply, so contact your insurance provider, then your Nurx medical provider to get all the details on coverage for prescription Descovy.
Federal plan. Medicare Part D and Medicare Advantage plans cover the cost of Descovy. Understand how your deductible works with prescription medications to know if you will have to pay the full cost until your deductible is met.
Patient Assistance Programs
Gilead, the manufacturer of Descovy, has created programs available through their website that can help you reduce the cost of your medication. You may need to qualify or register to use Gilead’s support programs.
- Gilead Advancing Access Program. The Advancing Access copay coupon card may help you save money on your copays. This program is not available to those already enrolled in state or federal programs such as Medicaid or Medicare Part D. You will need to provide proof of residency in either the United States, Puerto Rico, or US Territories. This program is open to those with commercial insurance policies but is not eligible under plans that include prescription reimbursements.
- Patient Support Program. The Advancing Access program is available to those without insurance and who meet certain criteria. You will be required to fill out an eligibility form to determine if Advancing Access will cover all or part of your medication, or if you may qualify for a free trial. Enrollment in this program is done on a case-by-case basis or if medically necessary as determined by a medical professional.
- Other support programs. For state programs that may be available to help cover the cost of Descovy, eligibility requirements may apply. These requirements may cover a wide spectrum, but they include being uninsured or underinsured, meeting poverty level requirements, and meeting requirements for medical necessity. You may also need to provide proof of U.S. residence or residence in Puerto Rico or in U.S. territories.
Getting Your Medication
Fortunately, we’ve got you covered. From testing to prescriptions, we can help you get Descovy from start to finish. Contact your Nurx medical provider to find out how to qualify to get your medication safely and discreetly through Nurx. We’ll ask you a few questions to determine the best approach to getting your medication. We also ship home testing kits so you can be tested every three months and refill your prescription.
Common Misconceptions About Descovy
- Descovy is unaffordable. Although Descovy’s retail cost is high, the onset of patient assistance programs, discount coupons, and copay cards make Descovy an accessible and affordable PrEP.
- PrEP takes a long time to work: The fact is, taking your medication every day and getting tested regularly is the best way to ensure Descovy is working. PrEP has shown to be effective as soon as you start taking it, but consistency is what keeps you protected.
Nurx prescribes generic PrEP unless you have a medical reason why you must take Descovy.