The birth control implant is a hormonal contraceptive that is used by many women. Here are some of the key benefits of a birth control implant:
- It provides excellent results and has a 99% effectiveness rate. If a pregnancy occurs while on the implant, it could be that the implant was defective or that the woman did not use another form of contraception for the first five to seven days.
- The birth control implant has been well studied in clinical trials and has been found to be safe.
- You do not have to worry about taking a pill every day when you use the implant. Once the implant is inserted and the initial few days have passed, you will be free of birth control worries for at least 36 months.
- The birth control implant is inserted in a clinic as an outpatient procedure. The insertion and removal can be done under local anesthesia and takes only a few minutes. There is almost no downtime, and you can resume all daily activities on the same day.
- The birth control implant can also make your menstrual cycles regular. If you have been having irregular or painful menstrual cycles, the implant may relieve the pain and also ensure that your menstrual periods are regular.
- Progestin, the hormone contained in the implant, induces thickening of the cervical mucus and can lower the risk of acquiring a pelvic inflammatory disease.
- The effect of the birth control implant is completely reversible. When the implant is removed, fertility is immediately restored.
- Some women may show an improvement in their acne after the implant.
- The birth control implant is covered by most health insurance providers. While the actual implant can be expensive, most women will have the implant covered by health insurance, Medicaid, or some other government program.